Asphalt driveways are renowned for their longevity but require maintenance to stay in good shape. For example, you should only drive on new asphalt once it’s had enough time to cure properly. But how long to stay off the new asphalt driveway? If you’re getting asphalt pavement soon or already have one, you should know a few things about taking care of it.
You should generally stay off freshly laid asphalt for at least 24 hours. It gives the material hardening and curing time. You can walk on fresh asphalt after 24 hours, but don’t damage the surface.
Prevent Premature Damage to Your New Asphalt Driveway
These tips will help you avoid damaging new asphalt.
- Do not walk or drive on the new asphalt for 24 hours.
- If you need to drive on new asphalt, wait at least two days before driving and use caution. Avoid driving with sudden stops and sharp turns.
- Keep your vehicle in the middle lane when driving so that your weight is evenly distributed.
- Keep everything heavy on fresh asphalt.
- If you park your car in exactly the same spot on new asphalt for a prolonged duration, it may result in the sinking and cracking of the asphalt. But avoiding parking on new asphalt pavement would be best.
- Be mindful of your shoes if you insist on walking over new asphalt. Patterned or high-heeled shoes could scuff the new asphalt surface.
- Before you move heavy objects across the pavement, put a piece of cardboard or plywood under them.
- Avoid harsh chemicals or cleaners on the asphalt surface to keep your new investment in good condition.
- Power washers and pressure cleaners can cause extensive damage to asphalts’ new surface, so be cautious when using them.
Asphalt Driveway: Dry vs. Cured
Knowing the difference between dry and cured asphalt is essential. Dry asphalt is an unfinished product; it is newly laid and has no time to set or cure. A fully cured asphalt surface has had time to harden and set.
The new asphalt driveway requires extra care during the first few months. Your new driveway is more vulnerable to rutting, potholes, and other damage. The oils in the asphalt have yet to fully cure, and the aggregate is still loose.
The asphalt curing process takes about six to twelve months for the new asphalt to harden completely. After six months, your new asphalt driveway will be stronger and more durable, allowing it to withstand heavy usage better. However, maintaining your brand-new asphalt driveway is still essential.
New Asphalt Driveway Maintenance Tips
If you take care of your driveway, its asphalt paving will last several years. However, there are some things you should keep in mind to make sure it doesn’t break down prematurely.
Asphalt driveways are extremely durable, but they are susceptible to deterioration. Your driveway will last longer and look better if you seal it every few years. Not only does sealcoating act as a barrier from inclement weather and protects your asphalt against other forms of wear and tear.
It is necessary to repair any cracks and potholes as soon as you notice them. It will help prevent water damage and keep your home in good condition. If left unrepaired, small cracks in your driveway can cause major damage and reduce lifespan.
Clean and Sweep
Not only is it important to regularly blow or sweep leaves and debris off your driveway, but doing so also prevents any build-up of organic matter that can create cracks and holes.
Your asphalt driveway is a long-term investment that will pay off by providing you with years of trouble-free service with proper care and maintenance.
Taking care of your new asphalt driveway doesn’t have to be difficult. Following these simple tips, you can keep your driveway looking great for years. And if you ever have any doubts about how to take care of your asphalt, be sure to consult a professional. They’ll be able to give you the best advice for your specific situation.
Working With The Professionals
BaraCo Paving, LLC, has been a full-service asphalt paving contractor serving the needs of commercial and residential homeowners in Orlando, FL, for over ten years. We are a family-owned and operated business and take pride in our reputation for quality workmanship and customer service.
We specialize in asphalt paving, from new construction to repairs and maintenance. No job is too big or small for us to handle. We use only the highest quality materials and equipment, and our work is guaranteed to meet your expectations.
If you need any asphalt paving services, please contact us today. BaraCo Paving, LLC will be happy to provide you with a free estimate.