Asphalt is a blacktop surface material used in driveways, parking lots, and roads. It is made up of gravel, sand, and asphalt cement. Asphalt cement is a petroleum product that acts as a binder to hold everything together. Over time, the sun oxidizes the asphalt, causing it to turn gray. Dirt and other debris can also build up on the surface, making it look dull and dingy. Pressure washing your asphalt driveway can help restore its original color and make it look new.
The Benefits of Pressure Washing Your Asphalt Driveway
There are several benefits to pressure washing your asphalt driveway. It can remove all the dirt, grime, and stains built over time. Pressure washing will also kill any mold or mildew growing on the surface.
In addition, it can help to remove any weeds or other vegetation that may have taken root in the cracks. Pressure washing your driveway will also help to prevent future problems by keeping the surface clean and free of dirt and debris.
It can also help restore the original color of the asphalt. Pressure washing is a quick and easy way to improve your home’s curb appeal.
The Risks of Pressure Washing Your Asphalt Driveway
While pressure washing your asphalt driveway can be beneficial, some risks are also involved. Here are a few chances to be considered before pressure washing your asphalt driveway:
- If the pressure washer is set too high, it can damage the asphalt. Too much pressure can damage the surface of the asphalt leading to cracks, potholes, and other problems.
- Pressure washing can also strip away the protective sealant applied to new driveways. If this happens, your driveway will be more susceptible to damage from the sun and weather.
- You can etch the asphalt if you hold the nozzle too close to the surface.
- If you don’t rinse the area well enough after pressure washing, you could leave soap residue that could attract dirt and debris.
Be sure to take preventive measures to avoid damaging the asphalt surface. Pressure washing your asphalt driveway is a great way to keep it looking its best. And always rinse the area well after pressure washing to remove any soap residue.
How to Prepare Your Asphalt Driveway
It would be best if you will prepare before pressure washing your asphalt driveway:
- You must ensure that there is no loose gravel or sand on the surface. If there is, sweep it up with a broom or blower before starting.
- Wet down the entire surface with a garden hose to help loosen any dirt and debris that may be stuck to the surface.
- Clear any obstacles, such as cars, lawn furniture, or children’s toys, from the area so you can move freely while pressure washing.
How to Pressure Wash Your Asphalt Driveway Safely
If you decide to pressure wash your asphalt driveway, there are a few things you need to do to ensure it is done safely.
Now that you are ready to pressure wash your asphalt driveway, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- First, you need to make sure the pressure washer is set to the correct pressure. If it is set too high, it can damage the asphalt. Use a low-pressure setting on your machine.
- Second, you need to hold the pressure washer nozzle at least 6 to 12 inches away from the surface of the asphalt. If you get too close, you can strip off the top layer of asphalt.
- Then, you need to use a detergent specifically for pressure washing driveways. It will help remove any tough stains.
- Start at one end of the driveway and work your way to the other in a steady, back-and-forth motion.
- Finally, rinse the area with clean water when you are finished.
Pressure washing your asphalt driveway is a great way to improve its appearance. However, it is important to do it safely to avoid damaging the surface. If you have any questions about pressure washing your driveway, you should contact a professional for advice.
Asphalt Driveway Maintenance: Ask for Professionals’ Help
BaraCo Paving, LLC is a professional asphalt paving company that has been servicing the Orlando, FL, area for over 12 years. We offer maintenance services, including asphalt driveway maintenance, sealcoating, and striping. We are dedicated to providing our customers with the highest quality service possible.
BaraCo Paving, LLC is a professional asphalt paving company that has been servicing the Orlando, FL, area for over 12 years. We offer a variety of services, including pressure washing, sealcoating, and striping. We are dedicated to providing our customers with the highest quality service possible.
If you need any of our services, please do not hesitate to contact BaraCo Paving, LLC. Our professional paving contractor team would be happy to discuss your needs and provide a free estimate.